This is part 3 in a series of posts that started with Small Changes. Several of you have asked me nicely to “get on with it”, which tells me there are at least a few of you ready to put it all together and start seeing some real results. Love your passion!!
So here are the changes you need to make to THE WAY YOU EAT AND THE WAY YOU MOVE to reach your goals:
- Eliminate soft drinks and fried foods completely. This is NON-negotiable.
- Eat a healthy breakfast (with at least 20-30 grams of protein) every day. Preferably within an hour of waking.
- No bread, pasta or desserts with your evening meal (and minimize the serving size of any other starch to no larger than your fist).
- Increase your daily protein intake to at least 25-30% of your daily nutrition. (beef, eggs, fish, chicken). Note: No soy protein for the men.
- Add healthy FATS to your diet (extra virgin olive oil, avocados, fish, etc). The easiest way to do this is by adding EVOO to your vegetables every chance you get. Put a bottle with your condiments so you don’t forget.
- NO fruit juice. But feel free to eat fruit raw (berries, apples, etc.). FYI: OJ has over 200 calories.
- Add a green vegetable (spinach, broccoli, asparagus, kale, etc.) to lunch AND supper (and feel free to eat a second helping of veggies).
- If you get hungry after supper, drink a large glass of ice water and eat a handful of your favorite nuts (almonds, macadamia, cashews, etc.).
- Do all of the above six days per week. Cheat on the 7th day with whatever you want to eat–within reason. Don’t make yourself sick!
- Walk at a fast but comfortable pace 3-4 times per week for 20-40 minutes. Schedule your walks just like you would any other appointment.
- Strength train your body 2-3 days per week for 20-30 minutes. Schedule this just like you would any other appointment also. If you want to know how, just ask me.
- Sleep 7-8 hours every night.
In addition, do the following:
- Before you do anything, pick a measurable/achievable goal with a date to meet it.
- Take “BEFORE” measurements AND pics as described in Small Changes.
- Invite your spouse, a friend, or other person to join you in this adventure to better health.
- Print this list and put it on your refrigerator, computer, bathroom mirror, etc.
As you can see, most of these involve how you eat, and there is a very good reason for that:
HOW YOU EAT IS 80% OF THE FAT LOSS BATTLE.
I will post more direction and detail on these steps in the next few days, particularly on the strength training, but this gives you what you need to get started.
Are you READY take your FIRST STEP on your JOURNEY to better health?