Assuming you used the S.M.A.R.T.E.R. strategy for choosing your goal(s), you might we wondering, “what do I do now?” If so, that’s what today’s post is about.
If you are serious and committed about your goal, you first need to look at some of your HABITS.
- What HABITS do you currently have that will help you toward reaching your goal?
- What HABITS do you currently have that will hinder you from reaching your goal?
- What HABITS do you need to develop to help you reach your goal?
- What HABITS do you need to break right now so you can more easily and quickly reach your goal?
- Are you a morning person? In other words do you currently have the HABIT of waking up early in the morning? If not, and your goal requires you to exercise more than you currently do, you will definitely need to develop this HABIT. I wrote a post about this a couple of years ago: How I Became a Morning Person
- Are you addicted to a certain soft drink? As I’ve addressed in previous posts, even a diet soft drink is extremely bad for your health, so this addiction is a HABIT that must be broken to achieve the healthy lifestyle you want.
- Are you a smoker or other tobacco user? Stop! Now! Nothing more need be said on this subject.
- How are your current eating habits? Is candy, chips, or other unhealthy snack a problem for you? Maybe you need to remove the temptation by cleaning out the pantry and fridge. What about fast food? Is McDonald’s drive thru the source of your lunch every weekday? Time to just say no to all of these places, IF you are serious about achieving your fitness goal.
- What about your sleeping habits? Do you sleep in until noon on the weekends? Do you stay up late watching the tube until you fall asleep? One of the easiest ways to add energy to your day is by consistently getting 6-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep every night. Sleep is when the body repairs itself from the previous day’s exercise and other damage we do to it.
Bottom Line: Your daily HABITS define the person you CURRENTLY are.
HABITS can be developed and/or broken, IF you really want something bad enough.
Action Item for this week:
Picture the Amazingly Healthy and Fit person you will be 6-12 months from now. Now look honestly at your current HABITS, and decide which ones have to go and which new ones need to be developed.
Now pick one (and only one) to begin working on today. In 21 days or so, pick the next one, and so on.
You can do this!
Please leave a comment below answering the big question: What HABIT do you need to work on today?